Monday, June 14, 2010

Wasted Morning

This past Friday marked one week of Em not really being herself--fussiness, not napping well, etc. Well, I didn't call the Dr Thurs morning about it, because she had a really good, "normal" morning...then didn't nap well in the afternoon. Friday I didn't call, and she had a wonderful day--no issues at all. Saturday morning she woke up with a 99 temp. I know that isn't much of anything, but w/a baby who is susceptible to UTI's it's definitely something to be concerned about. An hour later it was 99.1, and I decided I should take her to Urgent Care. I just thought it'd be a good idea to get her cathed so we could see if her meds were working or not. Well, I thought wrong.

It's sad that Emily is only 3mos old and already has enough of a medical history that seeing a doctor other than her own is a pain! First off, the nurse put a pee bag on her which we've never done. Then the doctor didn't even know that they had the supplies at our clinic to cath an infant. I told him I knew they did, because it'd been done on Em twice before. He acted like he didn't believe me--frustrating! He checked with 2 different nurses who told him they had the stuff, but neither had ever done a cath on an infant. I tried to tell him that I thought it was someone from the lab that did it, but whatever.

So, the dr checked her over and asked me a few questions. She's been a bit stuffy lately, but it's been pretty random and I told him that. His diagnosis? She "probably has a viral cold that's going around". Somehow, I'm doubting he's correct. He told me it was very doubtful that her temp (which she had all day Sat and Sun) was due to the UTI since she's on Cipro ( a very strong med). I tried telling him this was her 2nd round of it, and again he wasn't really listening to me.

Em hadn't peed in the pee bag yet, so he sent us home and told me to bring it in after she went. The downside of getting a sample this way and not with the cath? They don't do the dip which can give results really quickly, because their are always bacteria from skin cells in the sample when they get it this way. Instead it has to be cultured before you'll get any results. Preliminary results should be in today (though, they don't call w/those, but the lab tech said I could call and ask about them) and final results on Tuesday.

So, the whole point of me actually taking Em to UC was to get results that day and find out if her meds were working...instead I left w/nothing. Her temp never got higher than 99.2, but she had it all wknd. On the plus side, she was in a good mood and napped pretty normally for a change. So, who knows! I went ahead and emailed her urologist Sat night to make sure he knew what was going on, ask a few questions, and to be sure her last set of culture results had been sent to him. Hopefully, I'll hear back from him in the next day or two.

This morning Em's temp was 98.7--not a fever, but a bit on the high side for her for that early in the day. We'll see. Plus she didn't finish her 6oz bottle (very abnormal for her) and was back asleep about an hour after she got up (also not normal). BUT she was in a good mood. :) I'll be putting in a call to her doctor in a bit to make sure she's updated on the wknd, ask about the prelim results, and see what she thinks about the temp. Crossing fingers for good news!

No comments: