Friday, June 4, 2010

Potty Training--Day 1--Take 3???

*Pop-Tarts on the Potty*
Yesterday was the 1st day of summer break and the first day of potty training for Cam...again. I think this is the 3rd attempt we've made...maybe 4th or 5th. LOL For several weeks now, we've been talking to Cam here and there about how he'll be using the potty and wearing underwear once summer break starts. He never had much to say about it. :) Then on Wednesday, his last day at Lisa's, they had a Bye-Bye Diapers party and threw away his "last" diaper! So, he was pretty disappointed when I made him wear a diaper to bed that night. LOL Before going to bed, he picked out Thomas undies to put on 1st thing in the AM and then was good to go. :)

I definitely didn't have high hopes after December's disaster. And they didn't improve much right away. Cam woke up soaking wet, so we got his diaper off immediately, and I had him sit on the potty. He wasn't happy about it. Got him a pop-tart and some undies while I cleaned up his bed and that helped. :) Then I decided I'd let him take the potty to whatever room he was in in hopes that he'd make it at some point and have at least ONE success. Up to now, he's never even had one small success on the potty. :(


Right away he started sitting on it w/o telling me. He sat for a good 5-10mins while watching TV, but never went. He went back to his room to get something, and suddenly I hear a very sad, disappointed "Aw, man!" Yup, he'd had an accident and was really upset that some got on the floor. I reassured him it wasn't a big deal and had him sit on the potty while I got it cleaned up--about another 5mins. Then I got him clean undies and let him go. Shortly thereafter he had another accident. :(

At that point I talked him into going naked from the waist down. I also told him to remember that feeling he had, and to run to the potty right away if he felt like that again. Around late-morning he made it to the potty!!!! There was much cheering, hugging and hi-5ing!!!! He was very proud of himself! :) He even called Lisa to tell her and to tell his friend, Cassie. :)

The rest of the day he took his potty room to room w/him and had quite a few successes! Late in the day he wanted to go outside, so I put undies on him. He ended up having another accident, but finished in the potty. Funny, if he's naked-no accidents. If he wears undies--accidents. I think we'll start day 2 naked again. LOL

Another huge milestone came while he and Kade were watching a movie--he pooped on the potty!!! This was something he'd been really concerned about doing (he didn't want to get his potty dirty LOL), so I was shocked to walk back to the bedroom, find him on the potty,and then have him ask me to check if there was poop in it. Sure enough there was! I've never been so happy to see poop in my life. LOL


I cannot tell you just how proud he was feeling! He called Daddy and left him a voicemail w/the news. He wanted to call Lisa too, but I convinced him to wait until morning. We went into the bathroom to clean the potty and as he walked out he was giggling to himself and I heard him say, "I'm so excited!" It was to cute!! :)

Naptime and overnight weren't great, but I didn't expect they would be. That'll take some time. But he wanted to try them in undies so we did. We'll see if I can get him into a diaper for overnights...not a fan of cleaning his bed at 3AM. LOL So, overall a very good day! We are super proud of Cam!!

No comments: