Blankie has been with us since Kade was born--it's the blanket we brought him home from the hospital in. I'm not really sure how it is that Blankie became so important. I know that when Kaden was around 1yr we took the pacifier away. I'd read that you should try to replace it w/some other comfort object, so I tried that blanket and a couple other things but he couldn't have cared less. At some point that all changed!
For several years now Kaden has "needed" his Blankie to sleep. It's definitely his comfort object. We've even seen him rubbing it on his face in his sleep! If we couldn't find it at bedtime or if it got left behind somewhere all you-know-what would break loose! And I'm not exaggerating. Several times recently he's slept at mom and dad's w/o his blankie and been just fine. That never happens at home, though. I've tried to "let" him go to bed w/o it and every single time he'd realize it was missing and come asking for help to find it. :)
Well, over the years Blankie has become a bit...ummm...tattered shall we say? :) He (yes, he...LOL) has been hanging on by a thread for a while now. Quite literally. It started w/a worn out spot which turned into a small hole that grew and grew until eventually Blankie started to rip apart. We knew this day would come and tried to prepare Kaden for it. :) He had even decided that when Blankie did finally rip in two that he would keep one piece to sleep with, and I could sleep with the other. :) Yeah, that's not how things are going down. LOL
Kade went into his room to get Blankie tonight, and we heard crying. We just assumed he couldn't find it. Then he walked into the LR crying and holding one small piece of Blankie. Let's just say that Kaden was/is devastated. The way he sat in my lap and cried tonight you'd think he'd just lost his best friend. I guess in a way he has. :) Poor little guy. I reminded him how we'd talked about this happening and that we could share Blankie now, or he could use one piece to cover whichever animal was sleeping w/him, etc. Nope. It's too soon to even talk about that--Kade would have nothing to do w/any of my ideas tonight. I guess he needs to mourn a bit. He even asked me to put Blankie back together. :)
I feel so bad for the little man. To the rest of us it's just a blanket and not a big deal. It's quite the opposite to Kaden...it's heartbreaking to him. :(










2 comments:
oooo poor kaden...lol how did it rip? i mean i know what it looked like but wow! this is funny and sad all at the same time! and i dont think tattered is really the correct word...it's a lot worse than that lol!!!
I agree w/the funny and sad. :) He doesn't even know how it happened! When I went into his room w/him it was a mess (he and Cam had been in there playing) and all his bedding was on the floor. Part 1 was on the bed, part 2 on the floor w/the bedding. He has no idea how it happened.
Post a Comment