Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Miss Emily--1yr Update

It's so hard to believe that Em's 1st year has come and gone. It's been quite a roller coaster--full of ups and downs! We never know what is just around the corner...aside from that sweet face and smile. :)

The roller coaster started the day she raced into this world to be born--she didn't want to eat, then early the next morning she had trouble breathing and vomited. Luckily, it all worked itself out and she even came home on time. Then we began our journey to Iowa City and Dr. Cooper. After Cam's surgery (remember, he had the same one) we were a bit stressed and worried about how Em's would go. Em had surgery at just a few weeks old, but it went great!!  An unfortunate side effect was urinary reflux, and over the summer Em had a few UTI's. :( That was a journey in and of itself! BUT it's been about 8mos since the last one! WOOHOO!!!

Starting at about 6mos I began worrying about Em meeting her milestones. She was (is) a big baby, so our doctor felt certain that was why it was taking her longer to do things like roll over. It made sense, so I went with that...but the worry never completely went away. By 9mos I started to stress more--she was finally rolling both ways, but only for about a month at that point. And the list of things she "should" have been doing, and wasn't?? Well, it'd be easier to list what she WAS doing.

By Jan/Feb I was really stressing about Em's development. To the point that it was on my mind constantly throughout the day/night. I even started getting headaches, I was so stressed. Josh and I finally decided it was time to call the AEA and get her evaluated. We both felt something wasn't right and it couldn't be put off anymore. So, we were put in touch with the Early ACCESS program, and an evaluation was set up in February. And then the rollercoaster took yet another turn.

One day in February, I got a call from our sitter that Em was sick. She was very fussy and running a temp. "No biggie," I thought. I'd leave work early, pick up Em, and bring her home for a nap. I figured she'd be at least a little better by then, as the Tylenol would've kicked in. What was I thinking? LOL When I got to Lisa's, Em's temp was 102.7. I still thought she'd be better after we got more Tylenol in her (I'd told Lisa a lower dose than she needed), and she finally napped. I figured I'd re-evaluate then and decide if I needed to take her in. Wrong, wrong, wrong. *sigh*

Em ended up having a seizure shortly after I laid her down in her crib. If it had to happen, circumstances coudn't have been better. 1--Josh happened to be home for lunch, 2--she was HOME and not at Lisa's, 3--it happened right as I came back in with her humidifier. Em let out this horrible scream, I looked over and her eyes were rolled back and she was seizing. I immediately called for Josh and then freaked out. I had no clue what to do! In a nutshell, 9-1-1 was called, we were taken to Blank, Em was treated by a crappy ER doctor, and we found out she had an ear infection.

Three antibiotics later the ear infection is finally gone! Hallelujah! BUT that darn ear infection set a whole lot of other things in motion. Em ended up having 2 seizures (the 2nd w/a temp of 99.1 and was much shorter) for sure, and possibly a few smaller ones. We were referred to a neurologist at Blank--yea, another specialist. Em had an EEG done...all I'm going to say about that experience: God awful, and I hope we never deal w/that again. On the upside the EEG was perfect! :) When we met w/the nerologist she told us the two for sure seizures were febrile. Apparently, they sometimes happen with low-grade temps. Who knew? She also commented on Em's head size. Apparently, it's big like the rest of her (she's always in the upper 90% for everything), as is her daddy's. Yeah, she measured both of their heads! LOL

Well, with the combo of head size, seizures, and developmental delays our neurologist felt the need to order an MRI to rule out anything else. We had that done Monday, and it was perfect! More good news!! :) In the midst of all this, Em was evaluated by our Early ACCESS team and did qualify for physical and occupational therapy. She's having PT about 3x a month and OT about 1x a month depending on need. Today was our 1st PT session and (aside from quitting early, because she didn't nap today) she did really well! We are working on her getting from sitting to belly, belly to sitting, using her knees, etc.

On top of that, she did SOOOOO well w/her sippy today! She drank about 2oz out of it for Lisa today, and about 4oz for me at supper tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know it sounds lame, but I was thrilled!! :) A lot of it was a sip here and there, but towards the end she was really drinking from it!! So proud of my girl!!! Maybe soon we'll be able to use the valve! She was also trying to help hold it tonight too! Typically when she grabs it, she just wants to toss it around or bang it on the tray, so that was pretty exciting too!! It's the little things, people. :)

It's been a crazy, up and down, roller coaster of a year, but I wouldn't trade it!! I love that girl so much my heart feels like it could burst sometimes! That smile, laugh, her little voice...I love how she covers her eyes and sucks her thumb when she's tired. I love her curly blonde hair. :) I love how her face lights up when she sees herself in the mirror! LOL I love watching she and the boys together! My precious girl, I wouldn't trade her for the world. :)


Emily Lynn--March 2, 2010
8lbs 14.5oz
21.5"

Emily Lynn--March 16, 2011
24lbs 8oz
31"


No comments: