*September 9, 2003
*10:24 AM
*6lbs 9oz
*20 1/4"
*strawberry-blonde hair
*blue eyes
*PERFECT!
The pregnancy was a surprise, but it couldn't have been a happier one! :) I knew I was late. I knew there was a chance. So, I brought up the idea of my possibly being pregnant to Josh late one night as we were driving home from a basketball game at NE Nodaway. We debated stopping in Maryville at Walmart to get a test, decided not to, and then halfway home turned around and drove to Walmart!LOL In the Walmart parking lot we made a pact not to tell anyone for a while if the test did come out positive. Got home, took the test, waited for an agonizingly long time, and then there they were--2 beautiful pink lines!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have no idea how excited we were! We stayed up late into the night talking about our baby, talking about what it'd be like to be parents, what names we liked. Everything! I know that I barely slept that night out of sheer excitement. :) I can't remember what changed our minds (probably sheer shock and excitement!) but we told everybody and their brother about the pregnancy right away! :)
Things started out normally--tired, peeing all the time, you know the drill!LOL Then I started bleeding. My doctor, Dr. Feuerbacher, told me that their was a really good chance I'd miscarry. The bleeding continued, but so did the pregnancy. We saw a specialist in Kansas City who said their was a hematoma on my placenta causing the bleeding. Could be a big deal, could be nothing. Their was no way to tell how much of the placenta had been affected. If it was a lot, then our baby would have problems as he grew, because the placenta wouldn't be able to sustain him. The specialist and my doctor set up a plan that would follow me through my pregnancy. It basically entailed lots of ultrasounds and biophysical profiles to keep tabs on how our baby was growing. Eventually the bleeding stopped, and our little guy continued to grow normally!
I remember the day Kaden was born like it was yesterday...it all started early in the morning, Tuesday, September 9th. I'd been waking up every 1.5hours to use the bathroom that night--more than usual. Around 4:15am I woke up, used the restroom, went back to bed, and had my first contraction. It wasn't bad, just strong enough to notice. I got so excited that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I timed the contractions and they were 15mins apart.
Josh had early morning practice, and because the contractions weren't bad I sent him on, but told him to keep his cell phone on him. He also had class that day, but knowing how long 1st labors usually last, we decided to play it by ear.
By 7:30am my contractions were stronger, but not regular at all. But every once in a while I'd get 3 right on top of each other. Josh called around that time, and I told him they weren't too bad and to go on to his class. Yeah, I hung up the phone and not 5mins later had a REALLY bad contraction. So, I called him and told him to get home!LOL
By 8:00am he was home and I was on the couch in pain. I wanted to try a warm bath, because I heard it helps ease the pain of contractions. So, Josh, being the good husband, went and ran a bath for me. Well, apparently, getting up off the couch was not a good idea. It was about that time that they REALLY started coming! We decided that we just needed to head to the hospital (OK, Josh decided), so Josh let out the water he'd just finished filling the tub with. I was afraid we'd get there and they'd tell me I was only dilated 1cm and that my contractions weren't as bad as I felt they were. Um, yeah...I was definitely wrong!
The ride to the hospital was only 10mins long, but felt like forever. I had 4-5contractions in that time. L&D wasn't that far into the hospital, so I decided to walk there instead of using a wheelchair. Again, not a very good choice, but hey! I was in labor, so obviously not thinking clearly!LOL I had to stop 3-4times on my way to L&D because I was having bad contractions. So, we finally make it into L&D and into a room. The nurse checked me out, and let's just say that when they have to move your bulging bag of waters it does NOT feel good! When she was done she turned to the other nurse and said, "She's complete. We need to set up NOW!" That was when I lost it. I most definitely wanted pain meds (or a bat to the head), and I knew those words meant I was out of luck. It took a while, but Josh finally got me calmed down.
In the meantime, the nurse called Dr. Feuerbacher (who had been out of town until THAT morning--thank goodness Kaden waited!) and told him I was there and "ready to go". Apparently, he was quite surprised! :) His reply to her was, "Are you kidding me?!" After my appt the week before (where NOTHING was going on) he thought for sure I'd be in his office on Wednesday.
When he got to the hospital he broke my water and told me to start pushing. I remember hearing he and Josh make jokes between contractions...I didn't find them humorous. Anyway, I was shocked at how the delivery went. It was painful, but nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined! When all was said and done, I was exhausted and relived--Kaden was here and healthy! Our baby boy was here!!!! Dr. Feuerbacher called Kaden a miracle baby! :) I had never realized just how worried he'd been about my pregnancy. He said that with all the problems we'd had, especially early on, that a lot of people never thought our sweet baby boy would make it. But he did, and he was (and still is!) perfect!!!
And now here we are--Tuesday, September 9, 2008. Five years later. Kaden has obviously grown and changed so much! He's his own silly, smart, questioning, super-hero loving, PBS watching, chip eating, juice loving, sports playing, book loving, school going person. My baby--my 1st born--is five-years-old today?!?! Seriously?!?!
I guess they are right--time really does fly when you're having fun!










9 comments:
Awww that was so much fun to read Brandy! I didn't know you had problems in your pregnancy!! How did I miss that?? Anyways, I am so glad Kade made it here safely and is here to keep you laughing and wondering what is going to happen next!
Awww...thanks, Stac! I'm sure you knew about my probs back in the day, but it's been so long now! Darn kids growing up!
Aww, so sweet! Happy Birthday, Kaden!
I hope Kade had a great birthday!! They do grow up so fast!
aww...that was cute...but i didn't know you had problems or anything...i guess i pri just wasn't old enough huh?!? well i'm glad he is here and healthy and is the sweet lil boy that he is...and time really has flown...
That's so great of you to share that story! I had the same problems with Joe when I was pregnant and we were actually told two days before Christmas that I had lost him. It was devastating. Luckily, it wasn't so; just incompetent medical staff at the ER we were at that night.
Mark & I will be in St. Joe the weekend of October 25. What are you guys up to that weekend? I would love to see you all!!!
I totally cannot think that far in advance right now!LOL We'll have to talk when it gets closer. :) Is their something going on that wknd?
I have my high school reunion that weekend; so we'll be up there for that.
We're usually down there in Oct sometime--either for Homecoming or my friend's annual Halloween party. Not sure what wknd we'll go down yet.
Post a Comment