Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Iowa City Update

Monday morning I woke up with butterflies in my stomach. I have no idea why I was nervous about this appt--I knew it was going to be much easier than last year's, after all. At about 10:00am we left for Iowa City and Cam's yearly check up with the pediatric urologist. Last summer's tests were really invasive and it was hard on all of us. So, we were pretty happy that all we had to deal with this time was an ultrasound! Well, let's just say that Cam didn't appreciate this, or enjoy his visit, much...

He cried when the nurse weighed and measured him. As soon as she was done he was fine, though. He even told her goodbye. :) Then we headed up to radiology for the ultrasound. The girl doing the ultrasound let me hold him for most of it, but he cried the entire time. He was not a happy camper. When she left to show the images to the radiology doc Cam calmed down. Unfortunately, the doctor wanted to see things for himself...Cam did not care for this choice!LOL Again he cried and cried. I know it didn't hurt him, but he was scared even with both of us there with him. The doc was the same one we'd seen for the ultrasound last summer and he seemed to remember Cam. He was really nice, but a bit intimidating to Cam. :) I'm sure Camdyn was quite happy when we were done with that! Again, through his tears, he told the doctor goodbye. :)

We headed back downstairs to wait and see Dr. Austin. It was actually one of the shorter waits! And a nice girl brought Cam a train and track to play with in the room--he LOVED that! Probably his favorite part of the visit. LOL One of the ARNP's came in to ask a few questions and check Cam out...again he cried. Poor guy! He isn't easily intimidated, so he must've been pretty scared by all these new people wanting to touch and poke at him. When Dr. Austin came in...you guessed it--Cam cried again.

If you remember, when Cam was 1st born the doctors were unable to find his testicles. This was another issue we were seeing Dr. Austin for at that time. I remember him saying in the beginning that we'd wait a bit to see what happened, but his testicles were so high up that he was certain we'd have to bring them down surgically eventually. As luck would have it, they ended up coming down on their own. Dr. Austin was shocked! He commented on it again at this appt, and said that he'd never seen them spontaneously descend when they'd been up so high. He's still surprised by this! Dr. Austin checked this out, and things still look good.

Fortunately, all of Cam's crying was well worth it, because Dr. Austin gave us good news! The ultrasound showed that the dilation to Cam's left kidney has improved! He does still have reflux, but the fact that he's growing well (34" and 28lbs), takes his meds easily, and hasn't had any UTI's...well, that's all good! Even better news: Dr. Austin doesn't need to see us for 2 years!!

We will go back in July 2010--that seems so far away! At that point they will do a Cystogram and I believe another ultrasound. That I do NOT look forward to, because he'll be catheterized. The good thing about everything up to now is that he'll never remember any of it. When we go back he'll be almost 4, and definitely more aware. At that appt we hope to find out that the reflux has disappeared. If it has not, that is when we will discuss surgery and what steps we need to take. I'm trying to be optimistic that the reflux will take care of itself, and Josh is optimistic that it will. :)

So, crying aside, this was really a great appt for Camdyn! Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers about this appt!

6 comments:

C.Thompson said...

Brandy,
That is wonderful news. So happy that you guys got some great news and that you do not have to go back until 2010. Hopefully, just like the testicles desended on their own, the reflux will just disappear on it's own too. Good luck!!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear things went so well! I was thinking about you guys all day!

Stacie said...

I'm so glad everything went well. Like I said on SK, I hate to be hearing about all the little guy has been through but I'm glad he seems to be on the road to normalcy in that department. Big hugs to Cam!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad that his appt went well Brandy! That is awesome news that you don't have to go back till 2010!!! Yay!!

Tera said...

Glad to hear you received good news!!

Anonymous said...

poor cam crying soo much ...but he still has good manners lol saying goodbye!!! he's so cute:-D i'm glad everything is going well...and as of now the reflux has gotten better so it will keep going that way for the next two years to get rid of it!!! love ya:-D